Dr. Viraj Kariyawasam
Dr Viraj Kariyawasam is a consultant gastroenterologist and hepatologist at Blacktown hospital. He is also a visiting gastroenterologist at Concord Hospital,Pennant Hills Day Surgery, Macquarie University Hospital AND Norwest Private Hospital. He performs endoscopic procedures at Pennant Hills Day Surgery, Norwest Private Hospital, Hospital for Specialist Surgery and at Blacktown Hospital.
After completing his gastroenterology training at Gosford, Westmead and Concord Hospitals, he obtained the fellowship of the Royal Australian College of Physicians (FRACP) in 2011. He then completed an advance therapeutic endoscopy fellowship at Concord Hospital and embarked on a clinical research fellowship in IBD at the world-renowned IBD center at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital in the UK. Viraj is published widely and actively involved in teaching and clinical research. He is a Conjoint Clinical Senior Lecture with University of Western Sydney.
Dr Kariyawasam’s practice encompasses all aspects of gastroenterology and liver disease, with expertise in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and advanced therapeutic endoscopy (gastroscopy, colonoscopy, endoscopic mucosal resection, stricture dilatation, insertion of stents and endoscopic ultrasound). He has a special interest in cancer screening with emphasis on prevention and early detection of colorectal, oesophageal and stomach cancer. He offers advanced surveillance techniques for patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease and has expertise in removal of precancerous lesions from the stomach and large polyps from the colon endoscopically.
Viraj takes pride in providing high quality comprehensive patient care, which is highly personalized and readily accessible. He is a strong advocate of Open Access endoscopy to suitable patients to improve accessibility. He provides this service for privately insured patients atPennant Hills Day Surgery, Hospital for Specialist Surgery and Norwest Private Hospital.
He will work closely with you and your General practitioner to achieve the best possible outcome for your condition.
He is bilingual (English and Singhalese).
University of Columbo (Honours) 2003
Training and Qualifications
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Westmead Hospital 2011
- Endoscopic Fellowship, Concord Hospital 2011
- Research Fellowship in Inflammatory Bowel Disease , St Guys and St. Thomas’s Hospitals London UK 2012-2013
- Currently undertaking a clinical PhD on the impact of thiopurine therapy in the treatment of IBD, University of Sydney
- Accreditation in gastroscopy, colonoscopy and EUS, Conjoint Committee for Recognition of Training in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Fellow, Royal Australian College of Physicians (FRACP)
- Member, Royal College of Physicians UK (MRCP)
- Gastroenterological Society of Australia (GESA)
- European Crohn’s and Colitis Association (ECCO)
- American Gartoenterological Association (AGA)
- American Society of Gastroenterological Endoscopy (ASGE)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Colorectal cancer prevention
- Barrett’s oesophagus
- All aspects of gastroenterology and liver disease
- Pennant Hills Day Endoscopy Centre
- Macquarie University Hospital